Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen Review



From Goodreads: Ella and Micha have been best friends since they were kids. But one tragic night shatters their friendship and their lives forever.

Ella used to be a rule-breaker with fiery attitude who wore her heart on her sleeve. But she left everything behind when she went to college and transformed into someone that follows the rules, keeps everything together, and hides all her problems. But now it's summer break and she has nowhere else to go but home. 

Ella fears everything she worked so hard to bury might resurface, especially with Micha living right next door. If Micha tries to tempt the old her back, she knows that it will be hard to resist.

Micha is sexy, smart, confident, and can get under Ella’s skin like no one else can. He knows everything about her, including her darkest secrets. And he’s determined to bring his best friend, and the girl he loves back, no matter what it takes. 

(New Adult Contemporary)
*Mature Content** Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language.


Rating: 4.5/5

Plot: 5/5

Characters: 4.5/5

Ending: 5/5


If it's not obvious, I've become a big Jessica Sorensen fan. I read this a couple days ago, days after I read The Coincidence. And I'm happy to say I loved this one just as much! It's scary to find a great book/author and then venture into their other books, worrying that they won't live up to the first book you read. But this book gave me a roller coaster ride, albeit not as intense and bladder pressing!

My first note: I love the cover! I thought it was a little cheesy before I read it, but afterwards I think the black and white, contrasting with the red has deeper meaning that I won't tell you (spoilers!). Ella and Micha's relationship was so precious and meant to be, the reader can tell from their first scene. Sorensen has a knack for developing relationships; I wish she could control the real world!


The Goodreads summary explains the plot pretty well, although I can add (without spoilers) that her friend and roommate from school does accompany her home, as she drives her. I wondered when they left, as a college student, how they managed to fit two girl's things in one car! My Dad borrowed a van from someone and we barely fit everything! I had to leave a microwave behind just to close the trunk. One more thing that I found a little unbelievable was that Micha's mother has allowed him, seemingly most of his life, to throw parties. Or maybe she doesn't know, it was never clarified. But these things were never explained but they were small enough that the story of Ella and Micha overshadowed it.


I could sense there connection and feel the heat right off the pages. It was exciting and sad for me to be involved in their story. Again, just like The Coincidence, I appreciated that the male and the female both had issues to deal with. They were presented as equals, everything balanced. I was immersed in their story, but I did at times wish the other characters, the friends and family (especially her brother) were showcased or explained a little more.


I'm impatiently awaiting the sequel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!