Monday, March 7, 2011

The Hunted of 2060 by Ami Blackwelder Review

From Goodreads: Set in Alaska 2060. 3 Lovers. 2 Species. 1 Way to Survive.

Summary: Set in Alaska in 2060, when April enters her Sophomore year at University, she thought Robert might be the love of her life, but as she discovers, she is hiding something inside her, something the rest of the world believes to have died out. She struggles with who she was and who she is becoming as she learns of a family she never knew existed and of enemies she will have to outrun, outfight or outwit to survive. As April embraces her new identity, will she have to leave the life she loves behind?

With underlining themes of how prejudice breaks human connections and animal/wildlife conservation, this novel which has received rave reviews will leave the reader flipping through the pages of April’s story.

Rating: 3.5/5

Plot: 5/5

Characters: 4/5

Ending: 4/5

Amy Blackwelder, what a cool name, right?, did an amazing job with coming up with her characters and the concept and all the details of her story. It was very original and was set in the future. I think half the book for me was marveling at the future technology and the hybrids skin, and just trying to picture everything-- I think this book would do very well as a movie! April was a great character and her life was very interesting. I was hooked from the first few pages wanting to know more.

With all this said I did have a few problems with it...April's personality doesn't always seem to mesh. Some of her traits are contradictory-like she's shy but all of a sudden is alright with taking the lead and kissing Robert. As I'm writing this it seems like this really wasn't the problem. I think the author just didn't give us enough information on the characters current or pasts lives. A lot of the problems I had actually were caused by this. The writing wasn't magnificent but still better than sone published author I've read. The plot was very cool but didn't seem to live up to my expectations. And the characters all had potential but weren't written well enough to really get to know them.

I did though enjoy the book despite all it's flaws and will, no doubt, read more of the series and the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!