Friday, November 26, 2010

Stolen by Lucy Christopher Review

From Goodreads: Gemma, 16, is on layover at Bangkok Airport, en route with her parents to a vacation in Vietnam. She steps away for just a second, to get a cup of coffee. Ty - rugged, tan, too old, oddly familiar - pays for Gemma's drink. And drugs it. They talk. Their hands touch. And before Gemma knows what's happening, Ty takes her. Steals her away. The unknowing object of a long obsession, Gemma has been kidnapped by her stalker and brought to the desolate Australian Outback.

Stolen is her gripping story of survival, of how she has to come to terms with her living nightmare - or die trying to fight it.
 
Rating: 4.5/5


Plot: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Ending: 5/5

I thought this book was about human trafficking- it's not exactly. Gemma is a teen girl who's stolen (get the title?), by a man who I thought would be the guy who lures in the girls and then sends them to the big bosses, but I am soon confused by the way the story unfolds. Ty, the captor, is keeping Gemma. Not sending her off. Not trying to harm her. He wants her to learn to love the Australian outback, just like him, and live there with him-forever. It's very weird.

After I got over my initial shock, I could focus on the story. It was still confusing and hard for me to believe at times but the reader is supposed to be going through Gemma's journey right along with her so I took everything in stride. I don't know if it's because I'm a hopeless romantic or Ty really is a semi-good guy but I honestly had mixed feelings on if I wanted Ty to let Gemma go. Near the end of the book, without ruining the book for you guys, I was feeling happy and not totally stressed out for Gemma like I was previously. So, I'm feeling good and then....BAM!! Something stupid and annoying and something that pisses me off happens. But it also makes the story that much better. This whole book is black and white for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!