Thursday, July 4, 2013

Where She Went by Gayle Forman (Part 2 My Less Crazy and Emotional, Calmed Down Insight)


From Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I StayWhere She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.



Rating: 5/5

Plot: 5/5

Characters: 5/5

Ending: 5/5

I have been craving to read this book for the longest time. My recent break from blogging and college stopped me from reading anything, and this was one of the first books I picked up after my revival. I was hesitant when I learned what the sequel would be about: I did not want to read about a world where Mia and Adam had left each other when I had grown so much in love with them.

As usual, Forman's writing is beautiful and the way she can plot out a story, man, is just amazing. I love to write but she makes me want to forget that hobby, she is that good. I felt is was appropriate that Mia got a break as a narrator and Adam got a turn. The heartbreak and emotions the reader gets to experience with Adam is so real; I just want to reach into the pages and hug him until he's okay. His pain made me so mad; towards him, towards Mia, towards the accident, just like the first book.

The story was so different but still the same. Mia and Adam has grown so far apart but yet they were still so together. And then they meet again! Just for one night they get to explore what has happened between them, and when you read this, beware that there is no way to prepare yourself.



**SPOILERS**


I was hoping the whole the time that Adam and Mia would reconnect and he would dump Bryn. Got I hated her...mostly for encroaching on their ended relationship but also not understanding Adam and trying to change him. She obviously cared more about her image if she was with an Australian model days after they ended things.

I was proud that after waking up in Mia's apartment, he began to figure his life out and make decisions but saddened that he was accepting that he needed to let Mia go, because that's what she wanted. I wanted him to fight for her like, to me anyway, she so obviously wanted. And I think he would have gotten that too if Ernesto hadn't been in the back of his thoughts.

Gayle. You really fooled me. Up until that moment with the guitar and Mia telling hi Ernesto was just a friend, a married friend, you really had me going. And at the moment, I literally (no lie) threw my hands up in the air, grabbed my hair so tight it hurt, smiled, and started crying. It was very liberating and just another way I felt I was right there with Adam.

The beginning was stressful, the middle was emotional and agonizing, and the end was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!