Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bared to You by Sylvia Day Review



From Goodreads: Our journey began in fire... Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness-beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily... Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires. The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart... "When it comes to brewing up scorchingly hot sexual chemistry, Day has few literary rivals." -- Booklist


Rating: 4/5


Plot: 3/5


Characters: 4.5/5


Ending: 4.5/5


I was so happy this was not another Fifty Shades of Grey; it was my biggest fear. I believe you have to rate books based on what they are and not compare them to others, so rating this as an adult, erotic novel I was quite impressed. It had a lot more depth than most books int he genre that I've read or heard about but the sex scenes and the writing was just as good. I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at all during this book and I was interested in the storyline as well.


I didn't see why Sylvia Day, however, took so long to let the reader find out about Eva's past--I could guess what happened from the first moment of a hint towards it. I can only assume, though, that because the details and intensity of what happened was so much, the author wanted to explain at the appropriate moment and envelope it into the story. Also, Gideon--I hate that name and have no idea how Eva thought it fit his manly, sexy personality--was not as easy to understand as I would have thought.


We have the pleasure of having Eva as the narrator but I would have liked to know Gideon more. And the fact the Eva didn't either, made me question just a little bit how she admitted her love so easily. But as I said, I did not roll my eyes because I understood and it made sense, it's just something I wouldn't have done personally. As we read more of the series, I hope to find out more about Gideon and understand his motives better because I don't blame all his flaws on his strange sleep disorder.



**SPOILERS**

You'd think because Gideon knows about Eva's sexual abuse, he would warn her off his sleep disorder. And I don't know a lot about sleep disorders, but there has to be some underlying causes of this particular one and how he acts. He's trying so hard to protect her he's forgetting about himself! Just because you love someone doesn't mean you can be everything they need you to be all the time.

One last thing that I want to know more about is Cary and Eva's relationship. They have a great friendship and I love how they can take care of each other. I got the impression that she was so needy and Cary always picked her up but the "clusterfuck" situation made me realize it's a symbiotic relationship and he needs her just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!