Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly Review



From Goodreads: Sixteen-year-old, music- and sound design-obsessed Drea doesn’t have friends. She has, as she’s often reminded, issues. Drea’s mom and a rotating band of psychiatrists have settled on “a touch of Asperger’s.”
Having just moved to the latest in a string of new towns, Drea meets two other outsiders. And Naomi and Justin seem to actually like Drea. The three of them form a band after an impromptu, Portishead-comparison-worthy jam after school. Justin swiftly challenges not only Drea’s preference for Poe over Black Lab but also her perceived inability to connect with another person. Justin, against all odds, may even like like Drea.

It’s obvious that Drea can’t hide behind her sound equipment anymore. But just when she’s found not one but two true friends, can she stand to lose one of them?



Rating: 5/5

Plot: 5/5

Characters: 4/5

Ending: 4.5/5

Asperger's is one of the many things in the world I think I know everything about, but am always proven wrong. First why I picked up this book, I was interested about Drea and also, as a romantic, how her love story would work. Again, judging a book by it's description was a bad idea. I thought the book would be the first of many that wrote of topics that many teens aren't familiar of, but that it wouldn't be a wonderfully written YA book with substance. I knew from the first few pages that my impression was wrong. It's actually interesting how my impression of the book can be compared to people's impression of Drea once they find out why she's a little different than everybody else.

Most of the characters in this book were realistic and I could see how the dynamics could play out in my life, in my school. As I said, most of the characters were realistic, but the events and how everything happened seemed unrealistic in my mind, but Tara Kelly did a great job so that it didn't seem odd or out of place and in a way you still loved the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. I like how you compared your impression of the book at first to people's impressions of Drea. This one has been on my wishlist for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I read them all!